I'm very thrilled to share with you all this feature I recently wrote on blogger Nihan Gorkem for the www.sandiegostylebloggers.com website. Please check my final draft and edited version from the SD Style Blogger Editor which will be up on the site soon: http://www.sandiegostylebloggers.com/
I'm a features contributor for the community so I hope you all enjoy! I loved getting to know the lovely lady shown below:
Here's what I found out...
Jordan here from jjhoneylavender.com and today I'm very excited to introduce to you my new friend and fellow blogger Nihan Gorkem of Style With Nihan
Q: What got you inspired to get into the industry you're thriving in now? Any muses? Role models? - Jordan
A: My passion for styling and design got me into the fashion industry, but I honestly don't have any true "role models". Of course I follow a bunch of style bloggers, but I am my own muse :) Especially since the fashion blogging scene is pretty saturated, I try not to look at others' blogs too often so that I'm not being influenced away from my own unique style. - Nihan
Q: Tell something most people wouldn't know about you right off the bat. Do you have any hidden quirks or unusual hobbies or things that interest you, why? -Jordan
A: Maybe that I’m Turkish? I also have a deep interest in the Japanese culture and the country itself. I finally visited the country for the first time last year and now my next life goal is to move to Japan! Another unusual hobby is digital marketing which is also my job. Even when I’m not working, you’ll find me reading marketing related news/books or listening to podcasts. - Nihan
Q:Name three things your looking forward to about this year and explain why. -Jordan
1. Traveling to at least three countries that I haven’t been before. I just came from Costa Rica, so that was number 1. The next two places that are in my travel list are Bali and Maldives.
2. Growing my digital marketing company which I started early this year.
3. Moving back to San Diego at the end of April! I missed San Diego’s chill and peaceful vibes after living in LA (city of craziness) for a year. - Nihan
Q: I know you're based in LA now but I have to ask while you lived and went to school in San Diego what are a few of your favorite spots you enjoyed frequenting here? From shopping to food to venues for shows we'd love to know... - Jordan
A: · Favorite restaurants: Puesto, Okan Wa Dining (A Japanese restaurant in Convoy Street) and Cafe Sevilla are only some of my favorites.
· Shopping: I really liked shopping at Fashion Valley and UTC. Most of my favorite stores are in these malls and I really like the laid back and stress-free vibes of both malls. Especially after living in LA, I appreciate the ease of parking and shopping in these malls even more.
· Sunset watching: Coronado Beach, La Jolla Children’s Pool and Encinitas. -Nihan
Q: What some words of wisdom or advice you wish a mentor would have told you when you first started your blog? Are there any things you learned and complications you have overcome? - Jordan
A: ·I wish I had a mentor who told me that if I want to do something, I should just go for it! To stop making excuses and make it happen. I have regrets about not starting my blog 8 years ago, when I first wanted to launch it. There weren’t a lot of fashion bloggers back then and it was a great opportunity to show yourself in the blogging and fashion worlds. Nowadays there are just too many blogs and it’s really hard to differentiate yourself from other bloggers.
· There are tons of things that I learned and one I’d like to share is find a niche and make this the theme for your blog. Use this to differentiate yourself from other blogs. -Nihan
Q: How would you describe your style? How do you get dressed in the morning? -Jordan
A: · I would describe my style as always chic, romantic, trendy, versatile, sometimes edgy and always comfortable. I am a big trend-lover. I always look up new trends, create collages for myself to get inspired for my blog and future outfit posts. You would see me wearing different trends all the time and incorporating these trends with older trends or pieces that I already have. - Nihan
Q: What are your plans for the future with your career and style evolution? Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
A: After working for my own and traveling for a year or so, I might go back to the full-time work life again to work for big media and fashion companies like Refinery29, PopSugar or Vogue Japan since I’ll be living in Japan in three years :) I will probably evolve into a mix of Harajuku girl, Turkish girl and California girl at that point and experiment with all of these influences in my style :) -Nihan
Connect with Nihan:
Thanks for reading, and thank you Nihan! Until next time.